Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All is Running Well; The Low Down on My Aquaponics

The system has been operating for 21 days. So far I have established a routine of tending to the fish at least twice a day. In the morning between 8 and 9 a.m. I raise the blinds to give the room more light. At this time I test the water quality, check the various components of the system, i.e. water temperature, heater, pump, both bell siphons, and feed the fish.  I spend about 20 minutes each morning conducting these chores. I record my tasks on a chart I made. (See picture --------->)

I feed my fish all they can eat in about 5 minutes. I do this twice a day. Once as before mentioned in the morning and again at night between 8 and 9 p.m. I make sure the fish are swimming and responsive to being fed. They have actually begun to great the feeder by swarming near an approaching pinch of food as it hovers over the tank before the food spreads on the water surface.

To test the water I use a freshwater aquarium test kit. These can be purchased at a local pet store that sells fish and supplies. I test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as well as the pH of the water. I collect my samples prior to feeding the fish so I don't accidentally test a piece of fish food. I have purchased an inexpensive digital pH meter that has been calibrated with a 7.0 pH solution.

Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish. Nitrate is not as harmful to fish. As the fish swim in the water, they excrete waste mainly in the form of ammonia. An aquarium naturally promotes the growth of bacteria that convert the toxic ammonia and nitrite to the less harmful nitrate. Over time these beneficial bacteria colonize and allow the aquarium to achieve homeostasis, or balance.

The ideal levels for ammonia and nitrite are 0 parts per million. Plants prefer a pH of about 5.8-7.5; fish at about 6.5-8; bacteria at about 6.8-7.5. Since each of these components require a varying pH the ideal pH level is 7.0. pH ranges outside these ideal conditions may result in partial or total system failure. I must say that a pH of 7.0 is not hard to maintain. Most tap water has a pH of 7.0-7.2.

The aquarium takes time to achieve balance. First the ammonia rises, then bacteria convert ammonia to nitrite. Ammonia levels start to fall. After about a week different bacteria convert nitrite to nitrate. Nitrite levels fall much more slowly as the nitrate levels rise. These naturally occurring bacteria are known as Nitrifying bacteria. The high levels are nitrate are ideal for aquaponics because plants use nitrate as food. The whole system allows the bacteria colony to thrive in the grow bed, where they provide mechanisms to produce plant food. The entire system takes about a month to stabilize.

The most important thing to remember is that the system is running to eventually produce food. What this means is that nothing you wouldn't eat should ever go into the system. Anything that may be harmful to fish should never go into the system. In effect the system must remain "organic" or strange things may happen. In hydroponics, chemicals are often used to grow plants but this MUST NOT be the case because chemicals kill fish. After all the fish are the ones providing food to the plants!

If there are any questions feel free to ask. Happy cultivating!

No comments:

Post a Comment