Thursday, January 27, 2011

System and Fish Update

I have had some issues the last few days. I have developed poor pH testing habits and failed to see my pH drop below 6. I was using an electronic meter to test samples of water in 5mL test tubes. I would submerge the meter into the test tube until it sat on the bottom. I believe the meter was reading the pH of the glass rather than the aquarium water. I say this because when I cross referenced it with the pH test dye I got staggeringly lower results.
  
 I have started to see fish die off one by one over the last 10 days. I added 20 more fish after balancing the pH back out with some pH Up (potassium hydroxide).  I saw a few more fish die off in the last couple days. I am now down to 30 goldfish. I am  disappointed by the loss of 10 fish. I know goldfish have a reputation as being junk fish but it is always a bummer to see them mysteriously die. I attribute the deaths to the drop in pH and subsequent balancing as well as from the introduction of new fish into the system.

I am going to use the dyes to determine my measurements from now on. Live and learn I suppose.

The veggies are doing great! They have grown quite a bit. I'll tell you all about them next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment