Monday, January 31, 2011

Poor fish, I'm just an amateur. :(

I have managed to kill several fish. It saddens me to see them die. I have made some mistakes with running my system and I believe that my lack of paying enough attention has caused this drama. I left the window above the system open until the wee hours of the night. Sometime around 2 a.m. I remembered I had opened a window on a 60 degree day to let my plants get fresh air. What I forgot was to close the window when the sun started to drop. It dropped to just above freezing outside. My tank also dropped from 71 degrees to 58 degrees. I m sure this causes undue stress to an already stressed population of fish.

I am at a 55% fish loss. I have been running my system for about 35 days. This is a bummer to me. I do suppose that the lessons of aquaponics come at a price and through hands on learning. I am learning many lessons as it seems. I am not discouraged however and plan to continue to work out any kinks that I have gathered or will encounter. Things will be okay!


On a side note my plants are doing excellent. Carrots and cat nip have all sprouted their 2nd and 3rd sets of leaves and they are growing fast. The onions are getting taller and starting to become pungent. I have staggered the planting of my veggies so that I can attempt to harvest at a regular rate. I only plan to pull a few of each vegetable when they are ripened and the rest will be behind by a couple weeks from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment